I wouldn’t exactly consider myself a zero waste lifestyle expert, even though I’m serving as a kind of example since I publish posts on this blog and share about my life pretty freely on social media. I’m just setting up systems for my family and figuring out the best way to reduce my waste. Of course I’m happy to share my experiences, tips and advice with you. But, there may be differences in how you approach waste reduction based on lots of different factors. However, I definitely try to answer any specific questions my readers have, so please feel free to share any experiences or questions in the comments, send me messages on Twitter or Instagram or send me an email (email@example.com.) …Phew, there are a lot of ways to contact me!
If you’re curious about going plastic-free, reducing your waste or going zero waste, here are the books I recommend reading.
These books are guides on how and why to try and reduce your trash and garbage output. They represent a tremendous amount of research on waste, garbage, plastic and provide actionable tips on how to live with less of it all. They provide excellent examples, resources and compelling reasoning behind attempting to live plastic free and zero waste.
Check out the list below and then check them out… literally. Check them out from your local library if you can. If you know you want to purchase your own, I’ve included links to buy via eBay*, where you can find new and used copies to own and hopefully, share among interested family and friends.
- Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and You Can Too by Beth Terry* (buy on eBay*)
p.s. There’s a limited preview on Google Books if you want to read a bit right now.
- Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson (buy on eBay*)
- The Zero Waste Lifestyle: Live Well by Throwing Away Less by Amy Korst (buy on eBay*)
- Plastic Ocean: How a Sea Captain’s Chance Discovery Launched a Determined Quest to Save the Oceans by Charles Moore (buy on eBay*)
- Plastic: A Toxic Love Story by Susan Freinkel (buy on eBay*)
- Plastic Purge: How to Use Less Plastic, Eat Better, Keep Toxins Out of Your Body, and Help Save the Sea Turtles! by Michael SanClements (buy on eBay*)
- Garbology: Our Dirty Love Affair with Trash by Edward Humes (buy on eBay)
There are also two eBooks that I highly recommend. You will have to purchase these but they are worth it in my opinion:
- If you’re not already a fan of Treading My Own Path, give her site a visit. Lots of wonderful insight on Lindsay’s plastic free, eco-friendly life in Australia. Her book That’s a Wrap is not as detailed as Beth Terry’s book in some ways, but it provides a lot of wonderful more general info that can easily be applied to anyone’s lifestyle.
- The new eBook by Detrashed founder Katie Patrick, Detrash Your Life in 90 Days, is full of incredible information you’ll want in your back pocket. Thankfully, it can be since it’s easy to download it to your phone or tablet. She goes into great detail about the environmental impact and effort it takes to produce disposable items, including recycling. And she provides really awesome ways to reduce your dependence those single-use items.
Have you read any of these? What did you think? xo, Meredith
*Hi friends, just a heads up that this post contains scary affiliate links and if you click one, a shark will EAT YOU. Just kidding! Clicking my links just means you like my site and like hearing my recommendations. Your shopping experience doesn’t change one bit, but I might get a tiny commission. If you have any questions, I’m here to talk —> firstname.lastname@example.org. Or simply leave a comment below. Thank you!