The holidays are “over” but you’re an adult and you do what you want! Make cookies!
I was holding off posting this recipe because I don’t have great photos but you know what, this recipe is too good to keep to myself, so here ya go. I’m not a professional recipe developer but I’ve been making this recipe for a while and it works for me! Thank you so much to Cooking Ala Mel for the original recipe this one is based off of.
For those of you who follow a grain-free/paleo diet, check out what Mark Sisson has to say about buckwheat. Basically he says it’s a no-no but lots of 80/20 primal people still eat it on rare occasion.
Meredith’s Crispy Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten free! Easy option for dairy free!)
You’ll need >>>
- 1 cup organic buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal/flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup grassfed butter (to make dairy-free, omit this ingredient and use ½ cup total coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar, or unbleached organic sugar)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dairy- and soy-free chocolate chips (I typically add ½ cup Enjoy Life brand dark chunks & ½ cup mini chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF, and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
- In a bowl, sift (or whisk) the flours, salt, and baking soda together. Pay particular attention to smooth out chunks of coconut flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, cream the coconut oil and coconut sugar together with a hand mixer, until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and egg, mixing until well combined. Slowly pour in the flour mixture (½ cup at a time) until just incorporated. Do not over-mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.Optional, for softer cookies (skip if crispier cookie desired): Cover the bowl with a dishtowel or reusable silicone cover (like these,) and chill the dough in the fridge for 15-30 minutes, until the dough is firm. Once chilled, move to step 4.
- Roll 1 – 1.5” balls of dough in your hands and place 2-3” a part onto the prepared baking sheets. Flatten slightly with fingers. (For larger cookies, scoop 2 mounds of dough in a stack, and press them together with dampened fingers.)
- Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes, until golden around the edges. Start checking at 12 minutes as ovens vary. Cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool.
Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days. (…5 days?! Haha, who are you people who have all of this self control?! Teach me! And my husband.)
Also, I apologize for the lack of photos, I know that annoys me too on recipe posts. I promise to try and take some next time I make these!
One thought on “Recipe: Meredith’s Crispy Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free)”