In the summer we all get that halo of frizz thanks to humidity (and possibly not giving a sh*t because it’s SUMMER, OKAY? Leave us alone to our “beach hair” even if we don’t live anywhere near a beach.) I have thick wavy hair (each hair is thin, I just have a lot-lot-lot of it) so taming my tresses is a year-long
struggle opportunity to find solutions. 😉
Here is my current A+ formula (with natural/clean/green products!) for combating the dreaded frizz halo:
1. I spray Aubrey’s Sea Buckthorn Leave-In Liquid Conditioner (shake the bottle first) on my soaking wet hair after lightly drying it with a towel or a cotton t-shirt. You may have to test this out a few times to get the amount right. I sprayed this a little too liberally at first and it left my hair a little greasy at the roots. I got it on Vitacost for ~$8.50.
2. I do not brush or comb my hair. I gently run my fingers like a comb through my hair to spread the product through from root to tip and to get my part right.
3. If I have time, I let my hair dry a bit (maybe 15-30 minutes). If not, I just jump right in to step 4:
4. I take a small amount (nickle to quarter, depending on how much hair you have) of Shea Radiance Maximum Curl Defining Cream* and warm it up/spread it out between my palms before applying it with my “finger comb” from root to tip, focusing on my ends. I might “scrunch” my ends a little to really define the curl. This stuff is kind of sticky – almost like a gel – so I usually have to wash my hands after. Only part of this Shea Radiance product I’d change.
5. Most importantly – I try my hardest to NOT TOUCH my hair until it is completely dry. And even after it’s dry I barely touch it except to push a few strands behind my ear, etc. You could also blow dry on a low/cool setting and with a diffuser.
With dry hair (when I forget/don’t have time to do the steps above):
1. I spray Aubrey’s Sea Buckthorn Leave-In Liquid Conditioner (shake the bottle first) on my palms and gently run my fingers (like a comb) through my hair, focusing on the ends. I “scrunch” a little if my waves/curls need some help. I might spray a little bit more directly from the bottle if I need some more help.
2. I take a VERY small amount (like a pea-size) of Shea Moisture Maximum Curl Defining Cream* and scrunch it only on the ends. I then use whatever (very little) is left on my palms and gently “pat” it on top of my head to get rid of any halo frizz/flyaways.
Voila! What’s your go-to summer frizz-fighting solution?
*Hi friends, just a heads up that this post contains scary affiliate links and if you click, a shark will EAT YOU. Just kidding! Clicking my links just means you like my site and like reading my recommendations. Your shopping experience doesn’t change, but I might get a tiny commission. Affiliate links are indicated with an asterisk like this* If you have any questions, I’m here to talk —> firstname.lastname@example.org … or leave a comment below. xoxo.